Monday, January 5, 2009

Power Shift

2 years? Really? I didn't realize it had been 2 years since D and I made the crazy road trip to College Park, MD for the Power Shift Conference. It was my first official conference so I felt like I could take over the world. I was morphing into a little political activist. Ok, not so much. Politics makes me groan. All the back and forth and people making doing the minimum just to say they acted on an idea. I would love to give a few key people a piece of my mind, as if it would help. I digress.

On a more positive note, D and I were all excited about Power Shift. We find the building where we check-in and we get all our information packets, free t-shirt, and little bag. We go into this stadium (we were late if you can believe that) to hear the opening speeches and to our dismay, the stage is full of hippies with dreadlocks, playing guitars, singing songs about the environment. *ahem* We give each other the look and find seats. I've never laughed so hard. It's not that we're making fun of these people, we aren't those girls. It's just that these people were the most cliche they could have been and here walks in me and D in our North Face fleeces and Uggs! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

We made it to a lot of really cool lectures, we met a lot of important people in the green world, and made a few new friends. On the last day, we drove down to D.C. and had a huge rally. Each person was supposed to go to their respective Senator's office and talk to them about their concerns with the environment. We skipped that and I gave D the grand tour of D.C. What can I say, she's from NJ and had never been to D.C! I had to. We had to. Overall, the entire trip was a lot of fun and very informative.

Power Shift 2009 is Feb. 27 - Mar. 2 and the whole conference is in D.C.



Singing Songs


Me and D at the rally on Capitol Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment